Thursday 18 April 2024

In the Garden......


.........six Goldcrests - Regulus regulus have delighted us today as they flittered around our Norwegian Spruce for half an hour. Along with the Firecrest the Goldcrest is the UKs smallest bird. They particularly enjoy spruce trees as their small thin beak is ideally suited for picking out the tiny insects from between the pine needles. 
One of our resident Robins Erithacus rubecula 
has been cautiously flying in and out with mouthfuls of moss putting the final touches to its nest. The nest is in a climbing hydrangea on one our house walls but I am a little concerned that it is situated rather low. I am aware, however, that they do tend to build low and Robins know better than me. We have several Magpies Pica pica who patrol our garden along with a pair of resident Jays Garrulus glandarius which makes the garden a hostile world for smaller birds. I have already spotted a Magpie with a blue egg in its beak flying out of the hedgerow whilst watched by two very distressed blackbirds Turdus merula.

The exquisite perfume from this beautiful  Stephanotis floribunda in the conservatory brings back memories of my bridal bouquet which featured its pretty white waxy flowers
The flowers perfume reminds me of how lovely it would be to wander through a beautiful sub-tropical flower garden in some warm April sunshine, which with luck, we hope to be doing soon. However, flying is currently off our agenda as we endeavour to keep our carbon footprint lower, so where might we be going? 

26 comments:

  1. When was your wedding? Your dress and hairdo reminds me of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my own hair on my wedding day as this is how I wore it every day at that time.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful bird and wedding photos. I don't see goldcrests often enough, a favourite bird but they never stay still long enough for a clear photograph. I always try to turn where I live into a semi tropical paradise by only walking outdoors in good sunny weather but this spring, although mild, has been a washout of wind and rain most days so a real challenge so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't often see Goldcrests in the garden either and that is way we were so delighted to have six of them hanging around for so long.

      Delete
  3. I seldom see Goldcrests these days as my old man's ears no longer tip me off as to their whereabouts. I've got an idea of where you might be heading to see a tropical flower garden without needing to fly, but I'm happy to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that you will correct John, but it is really lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful wedding photo! Looking forward to hearing how you'll be getting to the tropical flower garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping that the weather stays sunny and warm.

      Delete
  5. Stephanotis in my conservatory too. I just love the fragrance. Wonderful firecrest photo and your wedding photo is beautiful. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both the flowers and the fragrance of Stephanotis. Mine was a great bargain from Lidl for just £5.99.

      Delete
  6. Those photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos. I really miss robins, such lovely little birds. Like John, I have an idea of where your tropical garden may be but will wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like a little resident Robin to bring you joy - they make lovely companions too whilst working in the garden.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your photographs.
    We have been fortunate to have some dry sunnier days recently, and the garden birds have been singing well, it's lovely to listen to them.

    With another weekend almost here, I wish you a good one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan - we have a lovely concert to attend on Saturday - the internationally recognised group - Voces 8 which we are looking forward to.

      Delete
  9. Hello Rosemary, You seem to get the most colorful birds as well as the most colorful flowers. But what I really liked today was the black and white photo of your wedding. What a handsome couple you two made!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim - thank you for your very kind comment - so long ago now - how time flies.

      Delete
  10. What lovely captures of the English robin and the Goldcrests, neither of which I've seen in real life. How beautiful you look in your wedding photo with your handsome groom. Stephanotis has such a sweet fragrance, but I rarely see it here anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiny Goldcrests are hard to spot as they tend to flit around in little groups and pass through quickly, but luckily for us it appears that they found lots of little insects to eat in our fir tree.

      Delete
  11. Lovely wedding photo Rosemary, I presume it's your wedding!
    The birds are ever so beautiful as all bird are, some sweeter than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes this was our wedding Margaret.

      Delete
  12. What nice capture of the small birds! Both Goldcrest and European robin are so cute. You’re beautiful, Rosemary, and you look so nice with the hairdo. You two are so cute together. Enjoy growing old together.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yoko - that's exactly what we are trying to do - just heading out now to a much anticipated music concert.

      Delete
  13. Love that wedding photo! The pictures of the birds are just amazing...
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete

❖PLEASE NOTE❖ Comments made by those who hide their identity will be deleted


“You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you - you have to go to them sometimes”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh