Koblenz derives its name from the Latin for confluence. It sits strategically at the meeting of the Rhine and the Moselle rivers.
The statue above is of Wilhelm 1, but is a very significant symbol of reunification for the German people.
Known as German Corner, it is possible to see the confluence of the two rivers. The Moselle is the blue one. The edge of the statue of Wilhelm 1 is just visible on the left hand side.
A cable car took us up to the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress
No time to visit the fortress, instead we wandered amongst some beautiful, delicately coloured herbaceous borders.
Koblenz suffered considerable damage during the war, but most of the buildings have been rebuilt in their original style.
Basilica of St. Kastor
The Romanesque church of St. Kastor was built between 817 and 836 by Hetto, the Archbishop of Trier with the support of Emperor Louis the Pious.
Charlemagne had 18 children over the course of his life with eight of his ten known wives or concubines. Nonetheless, he only had four legitimate grandsons, the four sons of his fourth son Louis. When it came to dividing up his empire only three of the four grandsons were still alive. Despite having so many children, the claimants to his inheritance were few. The three grandsons shared out his empire amongst themselves in this church.
In 1499 these two star vaults were erected in the nave and above the altar replacing the Romanesque roof.
The exquisitely ornamented early baroque sandstone pulpit dates from 1625. The wooded vessel is formed by four sides of a hexagon; on its sides are free standing figures of the Good Shepard and four of the Early Fathers of the Church.
St. Kastor's was damaged by a British air raid in 1944, and in 1945 the outer walls were damaged by artillery. The stone material including the vault remained largely intact. In 1948 enough money was raised for its reconstruction and a 25 year renovation began.