Friday 10 November 2023

The Quantock Hills........

......... nestle between the Somerset Levels and the Bristol Channel offering walkers and nature lovers a dramatic landscape of deeply wooded combes (valleys) and open heathland. The area is bounded by a coastline whose rocks reveal the geological story of the environmental changes that have taken place; from a desert-like environment 23o million years ago, to warm, tropical seas 200 million years ago, to near Ice Age glacial conditions roughly 10,000 years ago. For hundreds of years this stretch of coast has relinquished a large variety of spectacular fossils which continue to be found today.
Limestone ridges form terraces on the beach which alternate between limestone and shale, the latter being responsible for yielding the fossils.
❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇
Between 1797 and 1800 the Quantocks were home to Samuel Taylor Coleridge, one of the founders of the Romantic Movement. His friend William Wordsworth along with William's sister Dorothy also moved into the area to benefit from Coleridge's company. 
"My walks were almost daily on the top of Quantock, and among its sloping combes. With my pencil and memorandum-book in my hand, I was....moulding my thoughts into verse, with the objects and imagery immediately before my senses." 
Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Biographia Literaria, 1817 
Coleridge and Wordsworth were out walking down from the Quantocks to the small coastal harbour town of Watchet. As they walked Wordsworth discussed a book that he had been reading concerning Captain Snelvocke's dramatic sea exploits 70 years previously. In it he describes an account of his second captain shooting an albatross whilst they attempted to round Cape Horn in severe storms. The captain had taken the giant sea bird as a bad omen, and hoped that by killing it he might bring about a break in the weather.  
By the time the pair arrived in Watchet, Coleridge was already well on the way to composing thoughts for his most haunting and famous poem "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". 
Commemorative statue at Watchet.

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the albatross
About my neck was hung. 
❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇
Many once believed that albatrosses embodied the souls of lost sailors possessing magical qualities that could be harnessed to aid healing. To kill an albatross was a harbinger of the sea's wrath. The mariner's fellow sailors force him to wear the remains of the bird around his neck as a form of penance.

24 comments:

  1. A beautiful area with a storied history. Now you have set a webworm in my ear and I will be chanting “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love this area David, and having found a great hotel will definitely be returning again.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely town with nice view. Interesting story too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rosemary, Obviously, this is my kind of place. I may have related this before, but my last trip to England, I injured my knee of the first day and spent most of my time recuperating in bed. I had a book on the fossils of England, which told the best places to go exploring, and I was absolutely itching to go, but to no avail. Your post has revived that wish! By the way, whenever I hear of the Quantocks, I can't help but think of Daisy Quantock--perhaps not as powerful as one of Coleridge's characters, but she provides her own form of amusement just the same.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim - hope you do have an opportunity to visit again, and get the chance to explore and hopefully find some fossils. I don't remembering you saying that this has happened but may be I have forgotten.

      Delete
  4. Coleridge and Wordsworth -- both are favourite poets of mine! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would imagine a walk on that beach would be a difficult one...always watching one's step. But nice to know that fossils have been found there. Loved seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are not sandy beaches, but nevertheless children and adults alike love exploring them to search for fossils. You need a good pair of stout boots, a stick to help climb over the rocks, and camera to capture any fossils found.

      Delete
  6. Fond memories of exploring the Quantocks and all the other small but distinctive hill ranges in Southern UK 40 years ago. Didn't know that about the A. M.poem as to its origins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combe where we stayed was totally hidden away down along a long narrow track - we loved the spot and will definitely be returning again.

      Delete
  7. What a fascinating area. I remember visiting many years ago when my eldest son was only three months old. I’m not sure we did it justice so it’s good to read more about the area. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an area that we love to visit and explore. It is just 70 miles south of here which makes it ideal for a long weekend break.

      Delete
  8. Dear Rosemary - Quantock Hills is a beautiful place. I like the curving slope in the first photo. Interesting to know how Coleridge got inspiration to write the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. As I was not a good student, I only remember that I read the grotesque poem in the class. Sorry Coleridge. Wordsworth was my favorite among all the Romantic poets. The two poets remind me of my college days (desperately) struggling with English and English literature.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yoko - basically the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, I think, is about sin and redemption, but it would take a better literary scholar than me to to give you a decent explanation.
      You mention that you were not a good student and struggled with English and English literature, but you impress all of us who follow you with your use of our language.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures and a very interesting history!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very interesting area to visit Titti.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely place, much to see it seems. Interesting Poem too, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different and interesting locations within that Somerset area.

      Delete
  11. An area I don't know well ... this was very interesting, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very late to reading this post, and am glad I did. Such an interesting story of the famous Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always found it a difficult poem to comprehend, but by walking in the poets footsteps and knowing more about how it came to be written has helped me to now understand the concept.

      Delete

❖PLEASE NOTE❖ Comments made by those who hide their identity will be deleted


“You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you - you have to go to them sometimes”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh