Tuesday 29 August 2023

Eusebio Sempere (1923-1985).......

.......was a Spanish painter and sculptor whose work made him the most representative artist of the Kinetic art movement in Spain. His use of repetition of line and mastery of colour to manipulate the way light plays on the surface gives a three dimensional depth to his pictorial compositions.

A few years ago we travelled across the Spanish plains of La Mancha, the landscape of fame in the tales of Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. We were journeying to the ancient city of Cuenca known for it's hanging houses. One of the many things we did on arrival was to visit the Spanish Museum of Abstract Art, housed in the wooden hanging property seen to the left of the photo. Eusebio Sempere was one of the important artists represented in their collection, and it is where I was first introduced to his work. I particularly admired one of his paintings and was delighted to discover a good replica of it in their gallery shop. It was carried home carefully, and now sits on one of our walls.

When I view it I am confused as to how he was able to create this effect using only paint. Although difficult to show here, the painting appears to have been achieved using hundreds of individual strands of cotton thread, but each strand has a variety of colours running along it - the painting totally deceives the eye. I really wanted to know what the image represented, I could see that it was a landscape. However, I have recently discovered the answer, thanks to Google, which makes it even more compelling for me to appreciate the fine details in his work. Eusebio calls it "campo de mimbre" - Wicker Fields, but this description was still not obvious to me until I came across the following photos revealing the wicker fields of La Mancha near Cuenca.

It is now clear that Eusebio has used the amazing colours seen in the wicker fields for his painting, which are apparently a tourist attraction during the Autumn months. In the painting it is now easy to spot the sky above the Plains of La Mancha, then the wicker fields, and finally the foothills of Cuenca in the foreground.

14 comments:

  1. How fascinating to see Cuenca, a city new to me, and it is absolutely intriguing. The beautiful wooden building housing the Museum of Abstract Art looks as if it is in danger of falling, perched over the cliffs. The ancient builders were so brilliant to do this. Your picture is fantastic, and all in fine threads, an amazing achievement and so beautiful. I have from time to time wondered where wicker comes from, and now I know. The fields are so interesting, and what colours! Thank you for sharing all this information with us, Rosemary. It is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, sometime, I should show another post about Cuenca and its surroundings. We had so many diverse and interesting experiences travelling throughout that area.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I've not seen any of this artists work before. Mind you much of inland Spain remains a mystery to me having only scratched at the edges, mainly the mountain groups, but I was surprised at how much the often beautiful interior was so little known about back in the UK, especially the wildlife and the deep wooded canyons, which you would think would be better known and talked about here as they are world class spectacular yet are rarely seen in travel guides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have spent several holidays exploring both the wonderful Picos de Europa and several different areas of the Parc national des Pyrénées - all of which are absolutely spectacular and world glass, as you mention.

      Delete
  3. Imagination is a wonderful thing. I do like these Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Margaret, along with the necessary skills too.

      Delete
  4. Hello Rosemary, Your great eye led you to choose a most fascinating painting. I have been trying to look some things up, but Sempere and the wicker fields of Cuenca do not give up their secrets easily. The wicker fields rival the autumn maples of New England, but what kind of plant are they (wicker is a weaving method that can use several plants), and can the colorful stalks be used, or do they lose their color upon drying? I also looked at some of Sempere's other works. He makes unparalleled (pun unintended but I am letting it stand) and very skillful use of lines. Frankly some of his forms make me a little dizzy, so I think you definitely selected his best work.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim - I was also mystified by the wicker fields, and had wondered whether their bold colour faded before use. I had assumed that it would be used for baskets with various uses, but may be this link will answer some if not all of your questions. https://www.featureshoot.com/2016/09/photos-wicker-yes-wicker-will-leave-breathless

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous painting and I would love to see those wicker fields. So unusual. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour of the wicker fields is extraordinary, but I presume that the photos are true to colour as they are the same shade as seen in my painting.

      Delete
  6. Wow, dear Rosemary, that is an amazing and artistic picture! I never knew that wicker is so colourful - and his painting adds other landscape and sky (and sea?) too. Wonderful! Britta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the painting Britta - each linear line is exquisitely detailed with several different colours - its a mystery to me just how he made each one look like a piece of thread.

      Delete

❖PLEASE NOTE❖ Comments made by those who hide their identity will be deleted


“You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you - you have to go to them sometimes”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh