Friday 6 October 2023

Norman Treasurers

A fine Norman gateway leads to an architectural gem.

Peterborough Cathedral is one of the finest Norman cathedrals in England. Founded as a monastic community in 654 AD, it was to become one of the most significant medieval abbeys in the country, the burial place of two queens and the scene of Civil War upheavals. The catheral has a really dramatic West Front exterior, an extraordinary creation of medieval architecture. It would be easy for the interior to be an anticlimax, but it is not.

The dramatic Romanesque interior is little altered since its completion, but arguably the painted wooden nave ceiling is the jewel in the crown being the only one of its type surviving in Britain. It is the largest of only four wooden ceilings still in existence from the same period in the whole of Europe. It is known from dendrochronology that the construction of the ceiling took place in the late 1230s and 1240s.

The clock without a face
The monks of Peterborough Abbey had to keep track of time in order to observe the eight daily services set by the Rule of St Benedict. For centuries they did this with the help of sundials and by ringing bells. Timekeeping was helped with this early clock. It has no face, but strikes every half hour so that the monks knew when to pray.
The wooden frame and earliest parts of the mechanism date from 1450 and are painted black. In 1687 local clockmaker John Watts added a more accurate pendulum and other parts (painted green). In 1836 a new mechanism (painted blue) was installed on top of the frame with a three-meter pendulum. This clock was in use in the bell tower until 1950 when it was replaced by an electronic device. It was restored and relocated within the cathedral in 1984, but it still works. 

Katharine of Aragon's tomb

The pomegranates are left by well wishes sometimes tied up with scarlet and gold ribbon, colours which represent the Spainish flag. Ever since her early childhood, Katherine wore a pomegranate brooch, and as Queen she had a pomegranate emblazoned on her shield.

Robert Scarlett, known locally as 'Old Scarlett" was born in 1496 and died on the 2nd July 1594 at the remarkable age of 98. His life spanned the reigns of Henry V11, Henry V111, Edward V1, Mary 1 and Elizabeth 1. His longevity is thought to be due to his physical fitness as, even into his eighties, he was still digging graves in Peterborough. He has the distinction of having interred two queens in the Peterborough Cathedral - Katherine of Aragon and Mary Queen of Scots, and after he buried his first wife Margaret he claimed he had buried three queens! Scarlett then went on to marry his second wife, Maud, by this time well into his eighties. 

These are just a few of the treasures that took my interest.

လလလလလလလလလလလလလလ

Since I have been away, I have been unable to comment on any blogs or reply to comments on my own blog. I have tried everything I can to rectify the situation but all to no avail. If anyone is able to help I would really appreciate it.

* I have just discovered that if I use a different browser I am able to comment* 

32 comments:

  1. The clock is fascinating! So is the cathedral itself and its gravedigger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gravedigger must have been a great character. Life expectations for noble people then was roughy 50 years, so for a commoner to live to be 98 years old was truly exceptional.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these interesting photos...an amazing cathedral. And Queen Katharine of Aragon has always been one of my favorite queens. So sorry about the snafu with commenting. Time to ask Blogger for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara - as you can see I have managed to sort comments out, but I have had to switch to another browser.

      Delete
  3. Good post as always Rosemary. If you are on blogger, like I am, you might have the same problem as me. I have given my phone number, my email address and other personal info yet still can't leave comments on wordpress blogs now. It asks that I join wordpress or facebook and basically blackmails us to swap to wordpress if we want to comment on wordpress blogs. Glad I can still comment on yours without a problem. Hope you, we, find a solution as I don't really want to open up a wordpress account but might be forced to do so just to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Blueskyscotland, I have had the same problem, but was able to work around it. No need to give any phone numbers! When the comment box asks for an email, I use a "junk" extra email account that I no longer use (and which is in no way associated with Wordpress--perhaps just create a new account for this purpose), then it accepts my regular name and asks for an optional website. You can now use your regular Blogger address, but it has to be in the http:/www format, e.g.: http:/www.roadtoparnassus.blogspot.com (which is my own Blogger website). Good luck!
      --Jim

      Delete
    2. I have switched my browser Bob, but hope that Jim's comment helps you. I prefer to use Firefox but I am having to use Chrome for the time being until I can sort Firefox out.

      Delete
    3. Cheers thanks to both of you. I now switch to Chrome for blogs I can't comment with Firefox on.

      Delete
    4. Pleased to learn that Bob - exactly the same applies to me too.

      Delete
  4. Sorry, no help with the commenting problem but WOW to the Cathedral. Posts like this make me think again about a possible trip back to the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited Peterborough Cathedral many many years ago, but had completely forgotten just how wonderful it is - I was bowled over by it.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Cathedral and history Rosemary. Sorry I can't help with the commenting on other blogs, have no idea and I do hope it will work for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret - I have partially solved the problem for now.

      Delete
  6. Hello Rosemary, What a gem you are showing us in Peterborough Cathedral. I believe I most admire the very handsome exterior, but inside there seems to be something of major historical interest at each turn. I loved the ceiling, but was surprised when you showed the close-up. The inset vignettes did not seem as Medieval as the rest of the nave, especially the violin, as violin-type instruments had not developed that far in the 1200's. I looked in Wikipedia, which stated that the ceiling had been repainted several times, as recently as 1835. Like the clock, the entire building has had necessary updates while retaining its history and authenticity.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim - We really enjoyed our visit to Peterborough Cathedral.
      The following is an article about the nave ceiling which you might be interested to see.
      https://peterborougharchaeology.org/peterborough-cathedral-nave-ceiling
      It is my understanding that during the medieval period there were several string instruments. One was called a Rebec which is similar to a violin (there is a picture of a Rebec on Wiki).

      Delete
  7. You remind me that I haven't been there for a long time. When my mother was with us she used to like to do her Christmas shopping in Peterborough; we usually made a day of it and a visit to the athedral was often included in the afternoon. I'd forgotten just how grand it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do go again John - I am sure that you will be happy to be reacquainted with it. I was pleasantly surprised at just how many ancient buildings do still exist in Peterborough.

      Delete
  8. Dear Rosemary, so sorry you are having trouble with the irksome Blogger, and I hope it is now rectified for you. Peterborough cathedral is certainly a gem. The ceiling is incredibly beautiful and an astonishing achievement for the craftsmen. I don't think I have heard that Katherine of Aragon is buried there, and the gesture of leaving pomegranates is charming. So too the story of the 98 year old Robert: what an example to us all to keep up our exercises! Thank you for a very special post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patricia - thank you - there are times like this when I feel like giving up, but I would be sad not to be connected with all of my blog friends. However, the blogging process feels as if it is getting harder rather than easier.
      Katherine of Aragon died not far very from Peterborough at Kimbolton Castle.

      Delete
    2. No time to chat dear, leaving today. Thinking of you and glad you seem to have fixed the blog problem! More another time - take care.
      Hugs to you both, Mary xx

      Delete
    3. Travel safe Mary ✈️ will be thinking of you both.
      I have temporarily fixed the problem by moving my browser to Chrome which I am not keen on. Hoping I can eventually re-establish myself with Firefox my preferred browser.
      Lovely warm sunny weather - hope it stays for your visit🇬🇧☀️❤️

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Rosemary, to remind me of the visit there on one of our narrowboat trips. (We also went to Durham, but honestly: I mix it a bit up because we did four trips).
    The cathedral is very beautiful!
    The wooden painted ceiling reminds me a bit of the in Michaeliskirche Hildesheim, Germany (I lived 20 years there). The first foundation was 996, then 1010 - 1033, Bishop Godehard. The ceiling was painted in the 13th century (around 1220) - and survived the WWII by a wonder (1943 they moved all of it in parts to different locations).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impressed Britta - you are spot on with St. Michaels, Hildesheim (c1200) as that is one of the other three remaining wooden nave ceilings left in Europe along with St Martin’s, Zillis, (c1150) in Switzerland and Dädesjö, Smaland, (c1275) in Sweden.
      It is also known that the wood for the ceiling at Peterborough came over from N. Germany.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful cathedral! Always so nice visiting your lovely blog Rosemary :)
    Love, Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Titti for your very kind comment.

      Delete
  11. Such an amazing feat of architecture in that ceiling. And so much history to absorb while visiting the cathedral.
    I see you are having to use Chrome as your browser for now. I hope you get things sorted. I use Microsoft Edge and it works well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had no idea just how beautiful the interior would prove to be.
      I am hoping that I can eventually get my Firefox browser sorted - will probably have to wait until my eldest son can sort me out.

      Delete
  12. Peterborough Cathedral stands majestic and awe-inspiring, through such a long history of prosperity and declining of each tribe. The three arches with the three triangular things, towers and spires, are so impressive in harmony, and the interior is beautiful as well. How about using Chrome? I have no problem with it so far.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently I am using Chrome Yoko but I am used to using Firefox - they have no pop up adverts. Hopefully when one of my sons comes to visit they will be able to sort me out. I hate it when things go wrong and I am not able to fix them.

      Delete
  13. I've not visited this Cathedral.
    A lovely post and photographs.

    Blogger does seem to cause us all problems from time to time.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jan - If ever you are in the area then do visit, you wont be disappointed.
      I am temporarily using a different browser.

      Delete

❖PLEASE NOTE❖ Comments made by those who hide their identity will be deleted


“You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you - you have to go to them sometimes”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh