Sunday 5 May 2024

Eary May in the Garden

Image not life size - Lily beetles are similar in size to ladybirds
I am on alert to visiting Lily beetles - Lilioceris lilii who are after my gorgeous lilies. These beetles are wily foes to have in your garden, and you might imagine that being bright red would mean that they are readily spotted and captured. However, they have a range of tricks up their scarlet sleeves in order to evade being caught, and you need all of your wits about you in order to get the upper hand. They are usually spotted mating or sun bathing on the upper surfaces of the topmost lily leaves. I thought that they must have eyes in the back of their heads because they immediately drop as soon as you approach. However, I have learnt that at the slightest hint of a shadow or any movement they instinctively move to the underside of the leaves or drop upside down onto the soil which neatly hides their bright red wings. Apparently they also squeak in order to warn to any other lily beetles frequenting the same plant. 
I am keeping my fingers crossed that my Argyranthemum frutescens - Marguerite daisy-tree has no menu appeal to any of the local deer population.

It's that time of year in the garden when so many flowers are bursting forth daily, and currently it is the Peony trees they are capturing our attention. 

18 comments:

  1. Good luck in your fight against lily beetles and hungry deer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Debra - I have just learnt that the deer don't eat the Marguerites.

      Delete
  2. That's a new insect for me. Never seen one in photos either. It's amazing just what is out there but mostly unseen by humans... unless like here they are a pest to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned they are very wily little beetles.

      Delete
  3. I had not heard of the lily beetle. I don't think it is here and hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only see Lily beetles if you have lilies in your garden.

      Delete
    2. Fortunately it appears that they have not spread to your corner of the world.

      Delete
  4. Dear Rosemary - Leaves and flowers are bursting out one after another here, too, in the summer-like warmth. Marguerite is deer-resistant, so would be your Marguerite daisy-tree, I think. I didn’t know lily beetles till now. I’m rooting for your win.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yoko - thank you for the welcome news re: deer and Marguerites. I have looked on Wiki and apparently Lily beetles are to be found all around the world, but you only see them, if like me, you have lilies growing in your garden.

      Delete
  5. Clever little creature then and sneaky it seems.
    Do love your daisy done like that - topiary's always in my book look good if well kept.
    Peony roses are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daisy-tree was a flower bargain from Lidl - an absolute steel.

      Delete
  6. Lily beetles have a strong sense of preservation, it seems. Hope you manage to save your lilies! Your peony trees are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken several years for me to understand just how cleverly they manage to stop me catching them, but now that I am armed with this new knowledge things have improved.

      Delete
  7. Hello Rosemary, Some pests are attractive, others not so much. Those like lily beetles must be controlled in order not to wreak a greater havoc. As always, you have colorful, lively plants in your garden, or as in some of today's photos, beautifully glazed pots.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim - there was a time when I was keen on glazed pots, but they have served me well and have faired far better through the winter months than the unglazed terracotta ones.
      It has taken me several years to get to grips with these wily little beetles, but finally I have.

      Delete
  8. Llegando la primavera hay que estar vigilando las plantas los insectos abundan y les hacen daño. Están preciosas.
    Buena semana.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sé si hay escarabajos lirio en España, pero son pequeños insectos difíciles de tener en el jardín.

      Delete

❖PLEASE NOTE❖ Comments made by those who hide their identity will be deleted


“You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you - you have to go to them sometimes”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh