Sunday 16 October 2022

Stourhead - an Arcadian Paradise

Hills, water and classical architecture overlaid with a wonderful collection of trees and shrubs, Stourhead has been described as 'a living work of art'. Meandering paths offer vistas through trees to classical temples and surprises at every turn.

The inspiration for the building above was the Pantheon in Rome - Pantheon means a temple dedicated to all the gods. The Stourhead temple is filled with statues from some of the classical deities.   

Henry ‘the Magnificent’ was one of a small group of early eighteenth-century ‘gentleman gardeners’ using their wealth and acres to create a particularly personal landscape. One which expressed their hopes and beliefs about the world and their journey through it.


The Palladian Bridge was inspired by the work of 16th century architect Palladio. This five-arched stone bridge, although ornamental, was also intended to look practical having been designed to create an illusion of a river flowing on beneath the bridge.

So who was Henry 'the Magnificent'?

Henry was a banker, the eldest grandson of Sir Richard Hoare.

Henry 'the Magnificent'

Richard Hoare was a goldsmith-banker who founded the bank C. Hoare & Co in 1672. A bank which is still owned and run by members of the Hoare family. He was knighted by Queen Anne in 1702 and also appointed Lord Mayor of London. Henry 'the Magnificent' inherited the Stourhead estate from his father. He built himself a fine Palladian mansion and then set about landscaping the surroundings seen today.

The temple of Apollo holds a commanding position overlooking the lake. In Greek and Roman mythology the sun god Apollo was the son of Zeus and twin brother of Artemis. 

In 2015, one of the scenes from Pride and Prejudice was filmed at the Stourhead temple of Apollo, when Mr. Darcy dramatically proposed to Elizabeth Bennet in the pouring rain.

There are no real clues left as to how this small Gothic Cottage came about. However, the original landscape plans have been studied, and it is considered that it may have been developed out of a building that was once a shepherds hut.
The interior of the cottage was warm and cosy having been given a seasonal pumpkin makeover by the NT.
Towards the end of our Stourhead visit, my camera suddenly took a turn for the worst. Instead of taking one photo, it began taking slow motion bursts of three photos all at the same time. It is not an expensive all singing and dancing camera, but it suits me and importantly sits comfortably in my pocket. 
On the journey home I wondered if my camera's days were over, but why had it continued to take the images. Had something suddenly gone wrong with the 'drive mode'? A search on Google for a Sony help page, and I think that I found the answer - happily I have now been able to reset the correct drive mode, and hopefully all is now
resolved.
Should you be interested in seeing inside the house, there is a really old post that I wrote here.

31 comments:

  1. What an utterly gorgeous place, Rosemary. How fortunate we are that the public now has access to estates such as this. I can scarcely imagine the wealth it would have required to create it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased that you enjoyed seeing Stourhead David - we are fortunate to have the NT safe guarding so many of our architectural treasures and gardens for us.

      Delete
  2. Detalhes fotográficos imperiais, lindos, encantadores. não me importava de visitar tão bonito paraíso.
    .
    Um domingo feliz.
    .
    Pensamentos e Devaneios Poéticos
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stourhead é um maravilhoso tesouro arquitetônico e paisagístico. Fico feliz que tenha gostado de vê-lo - obrigado.

      Delete
  3. It's a beautiful place and you picked the right time of year to go! Love the seasonal pumpkin display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to visit in the Autumn but perhaps I really should give Stourhead a visit during the Spring at some stage.

      Delete
  4. Just popped over here dear friend as we change hotels for the final two nights. Such beautiful photos of the scenes you are seeing on your trip - I'm envious and have never seen that part of England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such good news about the camera - I know how much you love that one and you take such awesome pix with it. Hugs XX

      Delete
    2. May be you could make a visit there one day Mary - I know you would enjoy it. Stourhead is in Wiltshire which not a very long trip from Exmouth. It is about the same distance for us to visit from the Cotswolds.
      I was so relieved and very very happy when I managed to "cure" the camera. Enjoy the rest of your stay. Hugs to you bothXX

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a gorgeous place to visit Rosemary. The illusion of the Palladian bridge is so clever and beautiful. I am really taken with the Gothic cottage, just so quirky and pretty, and I can see how it could have been developed from a simpler, plain building. The pumpkin makeover is quite spectacular. Your first photo is indeed a work of art too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really beautiful classical landscape Patricia, and one which remains so throughout all four of the seasons.

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly enjoy traveling with you, Rosemary, as you make history so very interesting, and it's a subject I'm fond of. Everything is so lush and green in the photos, and the water looks cool and refreshing. The Palladian bridge is interesting, and you've said it's decorative - can pedestrians cross it? I clicked back to your earlier post to see the inside of Stourhead - the library is magnificent! And what a sad upbringing Henry the Magnificent had with his mostly absent father.
    I am glad your camera difficulties were mended; your photos are always so excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not possible to walk over the bridge Lorrie but mainly, I suspect, in order to protect it.
      I am sorry that I have confused you about Henry. The young Henry shown in the painting with his father Sir Richard was actually Henry 'the Magnificent's' father. It does make it confusing when father and son share the same christian name.

      Delete
  7. Another beautiful area of England and I do recall that scene, must have made a good impression on my. That bridge does give the elusion of continuing beyond...lovely photos and post Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true that it is a landscape that once seen is never forgotten.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, another beautiful tour for us! You do squeeze the most glorious day-trips into your life and seem only to be luxuriating in beauty at every turn - even if the everyday and humdrum are companion pieces, you are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Pip - I think that you are right, I am escaping from the reality of all that is going on both here and elsewhere, but it lifts the spirits.

      Delete
  9. The great thing about conspicuous wealth during that time period is that although these grand estates were created mainly for their own pleasure they have lasted and provided an incredibly rich legacy for everyone to enjoy, or in benefactors like Andrew Carnegie's case, an educational inheritance, and a genuine trickle down effect for future generations to enjoy instead of the false sound bite it has become today. Watched Downton Abbey recently and was astonished that one family of five could have between 200 and 300 individual rooms to wander through, including around 60 bedrooms when they only needed five and presumably that amount is tiny compared to the UK royal family and the number of palaces they must have. 1000s of rooms in total. Beautiful autumn colours from the greatest benefactor of all who creates an incredible wonderland for all her myriad creatures to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past I think that those with great wealth were far more generous and benevolent than those who make huge sums of money today. I think of the great mill owner and philanthropist Sir Titus Salt, The Lever brothers who built Port Sunlight for their workers, and the Cadbury family whose workers lived in the beautiful village of Bournville built for them by the family - the Fry family and so the list goes on and on.

      Delete
  10. Henry certainly lived up to his name by creating a magnificent landscape and buildings. I followed the link to see the beautiful house, and the chestnut trees are glorious. Glad to hear you fixed your camera, you do have a great eye for photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when todays technology goes wrong - I am, however, grateful that I did managed to fix it. The house is a really old post and the photos poor, but I expect I must have thought they were ok when I posted them 10 years ago.

      Delete
  11. Dear Rosemary, thank you for reminding me of a long ago visit to Stourhead (with my now very sick friend Anne). Such a beautiful creation of garden architecture.
    And I am glad you gave us some information about Henry 'the Magnificent' - I admire rich people who use part of their money either to do good or create beauty.
    As to the camera: your photos are always of great beauty and clearness, professional - what sort of Sony camera is it? I started to use my little Lumix more (great telephoto Leica lens) but for my long walks and spontaneous photos I returned to my cellphone camera (also Leica) - with satisfying (amateurish) results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Britta - I am really sorry to learn about your friend Anne. It is very distressing when those that are dear to us become seriously ill.
      My camera was not expensive, just a simple Sony Cybershot. Sometimes photos work far better if you edit them i.e cut out the parts of a photo that do not necessarily add to its overall harmony.

      Delete
  12. Hello, Rosemary - Stourhead is really a paradise. I enjoyed its beautiful landscape, and inside the house in your old post, too. Pride & Prejudice is my favorite novel. In the film I saw, Colin Firth was Darcy. I wonder if your camera is SONY Cybershot. A high quality compact camera which are small enough to slip into a jacket pocket is so useful.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yoko - the photos on the old post are not very good, but hopefully I have improved since then.
      There have been quite a number of Pride and Prejudice films over the years, and yes, I too saw the one when Colin Firth played Darcy. I have not seen the film partially shot at Stourhead when Darcy was play by Matthew Macfadyen.
      You are spot on Yoko - it is a Sony Cybershot, and it does slip easily in and out of my pocket. Lovely to hear from you as always.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful place and lovely pictures...one again a place I would love to visit!
    Have a happy weekend & take care...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your weekend has been filled with joy Titti.

      Delete

❖PLEASE NOTE❖ Comments made by those who hide their identity will be deleted


“You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you - you have to go to them sometimes”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh